Sunday, August 14, 2011

The patience of a Saint...

Today is just one of those days where small things have just ganged up together, had a little chat and decided how fun it would be to challenge me... and I'm not in the mood to be challenged.


We've all heard the expression "you have to have the patience of a Saint" when it comes to raising children (and if you haven't yet got children - hehe - hang on to those happy thoughts!), but I've realised that the only thing I have in common with a Saint is a questionable grip on reality and the ability to hear voices in my head.  


On days like today, it's not my patience that's tested to breaking point, but my self-control.  Repeating the various mantras of  "I am the grown-up here", "Lead by example" and "Breathe and walk away" can only take you so far before completely losing it for no apparent reason and launching into a tantrum that even left Her Ladyship rather stunned.  Yes Dear, you think you can tantrum?!  Ha!  Got 30 years more practice at it than you, missy!  


What I really needed her to do, rather than continue to get on my frayed nerves, was to sit me down, make eye contact and talk to me quietly, asking me to say in words (nice words) why I was so upset and offer me some sympathy and solutions.


She didn't.


Instead, as I drove off from our house for the second time, having forgotten my phone (grr grr) she simply said "well done Mummy" in what could only be a rather patronising tone of voice.  Are 3 year-olds meant to have grasped the subtleties of tone?  Didn't see that in my BabyCentre milestone updates...


Short of a stiff drink, there's nothing better to help you through a day like today than meeting up with your fellow long-suffering mum friends (and then have a stiff drink). 
/waves
Some will be chirpy, some will have done interesting things that don't involve children and others will just mirror your blank, frazzled look with a vague raised eyebrow, nod and tired smile of recognition.  It's fantastic.  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment